Leith High Depot Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Leith High Depot Junction (1864-1968)

Opened on the Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Leith North Passenger Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This junction was immediately east of Newhaven station. A connection was made from the goods lines (the original lines dating from 1864, to the north) to the passenger lines (dating from 1879 and to the south) allowing a train from the west to cross to the passenger lines and then enter Leith High Depot (also known as George Street Mineral Depot). The depot was on the south side of the line.

The connection from goods to passenger lines was west of the Newhaven Road overbridge and the approach to the depot to the east. The signal box was alongside the connection to the west, built on the north side of the railway. It opened in 1879, with the passenger lines.

The passenger stations closed in 1962. The box closed in 1964 and the goods lines (east) slewed over the the passenger lines (west), allowing the goods line to the west to close. The line west of Newhaven closed in 1966. It remained open to Newhaven goods and Leith High Depot until 1968.

Had the line been completed this would also have been the junction for the east to south curve at Newhaven of the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) of 1902/03. Although the earthworks were prepared and lines laid it seems the junction was not laid in. The west end of the Leith New Lines closed in 1966.

This trackbed is now a footpath.

Tags

Junction footpath

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
12/01/2020