Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This line connected Newhaven to the east end of Leith docks. The line carried freight only although passenger stations were built. Although built at great expense it never saw major use.

Why built

The Caledonian Railway already had a line to the western docks at Leith, but the larger and more modern docks were to the east. This line gave the Caledonian Railway an approach to these docks.



The Caledonian did not have much access to the East Lothian coalfield. If they had, this line could have been used to alleviate the bottlenecks the North British Railway were suffering which led to the coal owners considering their own lines to the docks. The expected large traffic never came and the double track line was reduced to a single track. After all, the Caledonian already had a coal export terminal at Grangemouth Docks so busy they would continue to improve it for years to come.






Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Newhaven to Leith

Junction originally opened when the branch was converted for passenger use. A separate line ran from here on the south side of the original goods line to North Leith.
...

More details
The location where the CR's Leith New Lines left the Leith North branch, seen in January 2019. There was a small mineral depot where the flats now ...
David Panton 18/01/2019

Some preparations were made for platforms on the Leith New Lines south of the existing Newhaven station. The brick platforms, on the west to south curve, never opened. These commenced, in the west, at the extreme west end of the very long Edinburgh Princes Street bound platform of the main Newhaven station, which extended far west of the Craighall Road overbridge. The were bounded ...

More details


This two platform station never opened to regular traffic. It was located between Ferry Road Junction to the north and Ferry Road itself to the south. Two brick built platforms were in a cutting on either side of the double track line.
...

More details
The bridge abutment just south of the planned (but never built) Ferry Road station that once helped to carry the Caledonian Railway's 1903 'Leith New ...
John Furnevel 07/06/2009
Course of the CR's Leith New Line (1903 to 1968) as it passed under
...
David Panton 12/07/2010
Looking SE from the abutment in Gosford Place at former Caley route 1 to Leith East and the docks. The two circular columns which supported the bridge ...
John Furnevel 10/03/2003
A 1974 view south past the remains of the viaduct that carried the Caledonian 'Leith New Lines' over the trackbed of the NB North Leith branch. The ...
Bill Roberton //1974

This goods depot was from the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway). This was the Caledonian Railway's equivalent goods depot to the North British Railway's Bonnington Goods.
...

More details

This halt was opened for a military review in 1908. It was to the east of a large lattice bridge over the Newhaven Road/Pilrig Street and Broughton Road/Bonnington Road crossroads. The line was raised on an embankment here. The halt's name may have been Pilrig rather than Pilrig Street.
...

More details
The Caledonian's Leith New Lines crossed over here. ...
John Yellowlees 16/05/2018
An overbridge on the Caledonian's meandering goods branch from Newhaven to Leith Docks once dominated the scene here, running diagonally over a ...
David Panton 13/11/2010
Looking along the route of the Caledonian goods line from Pilrig Park towards the former bridge over Leith Walk. November 1985. ...
David Panton /11/1985

This goods station was west of the unopened Leith Walk [CR] station. It was served from the west and fanned out at a lower level than the line on the west side of Leith Walk itself. There was a large goods shed to the south and series of sidings with the embankment of the through route to the north.
...

More details
The goods shed at Leith Walk West Goods still stood in 1999, since replaced by more flats. The view looks north west. ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
This block was built by the LMS in 1935 in front of their goods station. The first floor supposedly was occupied by the goods station office, but the ...
David Panton 25/06/2018
Sign fronting Leith Walk in May 1986, approximately 18 years after closure of the goods depot at Leith Walk West. ...
David Panton 01/05/1986
At the junction of Leith Walk and Stead's Place stood the entrance to the former Caledonian goods depot at Leith Walk West. View in September 2006 ...
John Furnevel 10/09/2006

This was built as an elevated two platform station on the east side of Leith Walk. The line was double track. Across Leith Walk, crossed by a large girder bridge, was Leith Walk West Goods. The passenger station did not open to regular traffic but the goods station was opened.
...

More details
The platforms of the Caledonian's never-opened station at Leith Walk are tantalisingly out of view as they are above steet level with no public ...
David Panton 08/03/2015
The elevated section of the Caledonian Railway's Leith New Lines after crossing Leith Walk ran west along Manderston Street towards the Docks. ...
John Furnevel 31/11/2009
The Caledonian Railway had to go a long way round to get access to the eastern half of Leith docks, so they perhaps hoped that a passenger service ...
David Panton 10/10/2009
A wet Wednesday on Leith Walk in April 2004, with the remains of the bridge that once carried the Caledonian's 'Leith new lines' towards the eastern ...
John Furnevel 26/04/2004

These maltings were rail served from the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway). The maltings were on the south side of this line and served from the west. The buildings were demolished shortly after closure.
...

More details

Restalrig Goods and Mineral Depot was on the north side of the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway)'s double track line. Access was from the west and to the west the line crossed over the Leith Central Branch (North British Railway). Although a connection between the two here was proposed it was not built.
...

More details

This was the junction between the branch to Leith East Goods and the line on the Seafield Viaduct over Seafield Road to Seafield Yard [CR]. The lines ran west to Newhaven. Both lines were double track. Fillyside house was immediately to the west.
...

More details
View towards Seafield Junction from the eastern edge of Seafield Crematorium in September 2016. The trackbed to the right leads to the site of the ...
John Furnevel 07/09/2016
Between Seafield Junction (off to the left) and Leith East Goods the Caledonian crossed the entrance to Seafield Cemetery and Crematorium. View is ...
John Furnevel 07/09/2016
Caledonian bridge to Leith East crossing Seafield Place, April 2004. ...
John Furnevel 28/04/2004
Trackbed of the Caledonian line to Leith East Goods entering from the left at Seafield Junction in April 2004. The chimney is part of Seafield ...
John Furnevel 28/04/2004

This terminus was a goods and mineral station in South Leith. It was opened close to the competing North British Railway's South Leith Goods, just to the north over Salamander Street.
...

More details
Must not pass... Scene of desolation at Leith East in 1975, looking back to the former level crossing over Salamander Place [see image 3175]. ...
Bill Roberton //1975
Remains of the level crossing in Salamander Place, looking north west in April 2004 as new flats take over the area. The former Caledonian Leith East ...
John Furnevel 28/04/2004
Site of the former Caledonian Leith East goods station seen looking north towards the docks in August 2011, with the vacant yard on the near side of ...
Bill Roberton 23/08/2011
The former Caledonian Leith East goods station on a cold winter's day in late 1973, photographed from the road entrance on Salamander Place. The ...
Bill Roberton //1973




Seafield Branch

This was the junction between the branch to Leith East Goods and the line on the Seafield Viaduct over Seafield Road to Seafield Yard [CR]. The lines ran west to Newhaven. Both lines were double track. Fillyside house was immediately to the west.
...

More details
View towards Seafield Junction from the eastern edge of Seafield Crematorium in September 2016. The trackbed to the right leads to the site of the ...
John Furnevel 07/09/2016
Between Seafield Junction (off to the left) and Leith East Goods the Caledonian crossed the entrance to Seafield Cemetery and Crematorium. View is ...
John Furnevel 07/09/2016
Caledonian bridge to Leith East crossing Seafield Place, April 2004. ...
John Furnevel 28/04/2004
Trackbed of the Caledonian line to Leith East Goods entering from the left at Seafield Junction in April 2004. The chimney is part of Seafield ...
John Furnevel 28/04/2004

This junction was at the south end of the Caledonian Railway's Seafield Viaduct which crossed Seafield Road and the east end of the North British Railway's Seafield Yard by Seafield Junction [NB].
...

More details
Looking south in December 2004 at the remaining abutment of the bridge across Seafield Street which carried the NBR line on its way up from Meadows ...
John Furnevel 10/12/2004

This yard was laid out to the north of Leith South Yard at the end of the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) branch. The yard consisted of two groups of marshalling sidings, a locomotive shed (Seafield Shed [CR]) and a connection to the Leith Harbour and Dock Commissioners Railway serving Leith Imperial Dock and the other docks.
...

More details

This shed opened in 1902 as part of the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway).
...

More details
Holmes J83 0-6-0T no 68453 on shed at Seafield around 1959. ...
K A Gray //1959
J35 0-6-0 no 64479 stands alongside the Forth on Seafield shed in the early 1960s. ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //
Class J37 0-6-0 no 64608 outside the former Caledonian shed at Seafield (by this time a sub of 64A St Margarets). The sidings of Leith South Yard lie ...
K A Gray //
N15 0-6-2T no 69141 photographed in the shed yard at Seafield in November 1959 with the coaling stage in the background. ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 22/11/1959