Seafield Road Junction

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Seafield Road Junction (1916-1929)
Seafield Road Junction (1941-1966)

Opened on the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway).

Opened on the Lothian Lines (North British Railway).


Description

This junction was at the south end of the Caledonian Railway's Seafield Viaduct which crossed Seafield Road and the east end of the North British Railway's Seafield Yard by Seafield Junction [NB].

The junction was between the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) and one of the Lothian Lines (North British Railway) running from Meadows Junction at the west end of Meadows Yard.

Both lines were double track.

The junction gave the NBR access to the Caledonian's Seafield Yard and their Seafield Shed [CR].

The junction fell out of use between 1929 and 1941.

It closed in 1966 when the Seafield Viaduct line was lifted and viaduct removed. The line approaching from Meadow Yard was altered to run to Leith East Goods which kept that depot open. For subsequent railway history see Seafield Junction [CR].

The site is now a small area of parkland.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map