Meadows Yard

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Meadows Yard (1916-1973)

Opened on the Lothian Lines (North British Railway).


Description

This yard was on the Lothian Lines (North British Railway) close to Seafield and South Leith. It was also known as Craigentinny Meadows Yard. It was built on undeveloped land south west of South Leith.

To the north was Meadows Junction and to the south King's Road Signal Box.

The yard had over 20 sorting sidings and bypass lines (or loco releases) on either side.

The yard was progressively cut back on its east side but has ultimately survived as the route through the area in preference to the original Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway alignment to the east. Probably this route survived as there was a connection to Leith East Goods from 1966. The yard was closed by 1973.


Tags

Marshalling yard yard sidings

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map