Meadows Junction

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Meadows Junction (1916-1929)
Meadows Junction (1941-1964)

Opened on the Lothian Lines (North British Railway).


Description

This junction was at the north end of Meadows Yard. The line ran south from here into the yard. To the north it divided into two double track lines with the more southerly line running to meet the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) at Seafield Road Junction and the other running to Meadows Box [2nd].

The meeting point of these lines was under Fillyside Road bridge.

The line to Seafield Road Junction closed between 1929 and 1941. Meadows Yard was cut back progressively.

In the 1960s the lines were rationalised. As Meadows Yard also provided access to Leith East Goods (see Seafield Junction [CR]) the route through the greatly reduced yard was retained in preference to the original route of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway off to the east.

Little remains to be seen of the junction but the Fillyside Road bridge remains crossing over a single track.

11/07/2018

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map