Leith High Depot

Location type

Sidings

Name and dates

Leith High Depot (1864-1968)

Opened on the Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This was a coal depot. Also known as the George Street Mineral Depot. This depot was largely to south of the goods and passenger lines, accessed from west (but also some lines to the north, accessed from east.

The signal box at Leith High Depot Junction opened in 1879 and closed in 1964.

In 1964 the lines were slewed so that the goods lines closed and passenger lines were retained for goods to Leith High Depot and Newhaven Goods and Minerals. Latterly approach was only possible from the east.

The depot site has been built over.

Tags

Sidings coal depot 12/01/2020