Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This line provided a service from the docks at Leith harbour to Granton and Edinburgh, joining the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) at Pilton. The line is closed and now forms a walkway.



The line was later augmented by a passenger service. This was provided by adding additional running lines to the south from Newhaven Junction to Leith.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This junction was between the goods only 1861 Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1864 Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway). The junction gave access to the Granton and Leith routes from the south. Both railways were double track.
...

More details
Base of a lattice post signal near Crew Junction, seen during a walk of closed Edinburgh railway lines in January 2019. This was most likely the down ...
Bill Roberton 15/01/2019
I am standing at the site of the box at Crew Junction at Crewe Toll, Edinburgh looking north. Another RailScot contributor asserts that this junction ...
David Panton 23/01/2019
Looking north over the site of Crew Junction Yard on 15th January 2019. The CR Leith branch ran in front of the fence in the background with the ...
Bill Roberton 15/01/2019
The photographer's youngest son beams from the steps of Crew Junction box in 1966, less than a year after the closure of the Crew Junction-Granton ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1966

This junction is also known as Pilton Junction West. The signal box here was called Pilton West Junction.
...

More details
The view north from West Granton Road in 1997. There was a cycleroute down there, laid on the original trackbed level. Since this photograph the large ...
Ewan Crawford /09/1997
Part of the course of the CR's Granton branch was converted to this not terribly useful mini relief road after the track was lifted in the 1980s. It ...
David Panton 19/01/2019
Looking north west to Granton Gasworks, and its former station, from just north of Pilton West Junction in 1998. The trackbed into the works is in the ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
A path being constructed in 1990, on the trackbed of what was latterly the end of the Granton branch looking towards Pilton Junction West. The wall ...
Bill Roberton //1990

This was a double track junction, the eastern apex of a triangular junction. The other junctions were Pilton West Junction to the north west (for Granton Harbour) and Crew Junction to the south west (for Edinburgh). Going west the line ran to Leith. The triangle opened in 1864. The lines ran near parallel for a short way before separating to the west.
...

More details
View east from Pilton Drive of the CR line to Leith, now a foot/cycle path, in January 2019. Housing now occupies the site of the rail-served Bruce ...
Bill Roberton 15/01/2019

Manufacturer of electrical equipment. Company originally formed in 1866. Moved to East Pilton works in 1904.
...

More details
After closure of the CR Leith branch in 1968, the internal railway sidings at Bruce Peebles survived to serve the stock yard with a Jones diesel crane ...
Bill Roberton //1976

This halt was built on the former site of Pilton Junction East, which was closed by the time the halt opened. The signal box which was formerly located here would have been at the east end of the eastbound platform.
...

More details
The halt opened to serve social housing in a tram-starved part of the city, but was more handy for an engineering works and a hospital (now the site ...
David Panton 07/04/2018

This was a two platform station with offices above on the east side of the Granton Road overbridge. Platforms were to the east of the bridge running east towards the Wardie Road overbridge. There were waiting shelters on the platforms. There was no goods yard.
...

More details
The up side access to Granton Road station from Wardie Road in February 1986. ...
David Panton /02/1986
The almost impenetrable site of Granton Road station in February 1986, looking west at the foot of the path up to the ticket office.  I'm therefore ...
David Panton /02/1986
A J37 is an unusual sight at the head of what is almost certainly a rugby special to Murrayfield, in this 1961 view over Granton Road station. ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //
The former Granton Road station, closed in 1962. View west in April 2002. ...
John Furnevel 22/04/2002

This junction opened in 1879 when the Leith North, which had opened in 1864, was converted for passenger use. A separate line ran from here on the south side of the original goods line to North Leith.
...

More details
The location where the CR's Leith New Lines left the Leith North branch, seen in January 2019. There was a small mineral depot where the flats now ...
David Panton 18/01/2019


This junction was immediately east of Newhaven station. A connection was made from the goods lines (the original lines dating from 1864, to the north) to the passenger lines (dating from 1879 and to the south) allowing a train from the west to cross to the passenger lines and then enter Leith High Depot (also known as George Street Mineral Depot). The depot was on the south side of the ...

More details


This goods yard was the terminus of the line from Crew Junction opened in 1864. In 1879 the line was opened to passengers too, with a new terminus North Leith being built to the south and additional lines laid from Newhaven Junction.
...

More details