Dalry Middle Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Dalry Middle Junction (1876-1964)

Opened on the Wester Dalry Branch and Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This was a double track junction formed when the 1864 Coltbridge Junction to Dalry Junction curve was met with a new connection of 1876 westwards to Haymarket West Junction to give the Caledonian Railway access to locations west via the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

A signal box was erected on the south side of the junction.

The box was replaced with a new building just to the east around 1900 with the construction of Dalry Road station, which was just to the east over a bridge crossing Dalry Road itself. For this a new box was provided, just to the east of the existing box. Loops existed on either side of Dalry Road station, the northern (eastbound) loop connecting to the Morrison Street Goods lines and the southern (westbound) connected to the lines which divided to approach Edinburgh Princes Street and Lothian Road Goods.

The junction closed in 1964 when the lines to Haymarket West Junction, Coltbridge Junction and Dalry Junction closed.

Tags

Junction 09/07/2019



Dates

30/06/1874Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) authorised.
03/07/1876Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) opened. The Caledonian Railway had running powers to Larbert from here.
09/03/1964Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Coltbridge Junction to Dalry Middle Junction to Dalry Junction closed to freight.
09/03/1964Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction closed.