Haymarket West Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Haymarket West Junction (1876-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Corstorphine Branch (North British Railway).

Opened on the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway.

Opened on the Wester Dalry Branch and Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This junction opened in 1876 when the Wester Dalry Branch and Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway) opened, allowing Caledonian Railway trains from Edinburgh Princes Street to join the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway westbound and then, via the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway, join the Scottish Central Railway at Larbert Junction and run north to Stirling, Perth, Dundee West, Aberdeen and Inverness.

A signal box opened with the junction. This box was modified, extended, in 1884 for the opening of the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway. This curve and line allowed goods and mineral trains to bypass Edinburgh Waverley.

The box was replaced in 1894 for line quadrupling. This followed the Forth Bridge opening of 1890, providing the North British Railway with its line north to Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.

In 1902 the branch to Corstorphine [2nd] opened from the north side of the lines, the branch running west to the terminus.

The Wester Dalry Branch and Dalry Road Lines (Caledonian Railway) closed in 1964 when Edinburgh Princes Street station closed and services were diverted to Edinburgh Waverley.

The Corstorphine [2nd] branch closed in 1968.

In 1975 the signal box closed, replaced by Haymarket Power Box.

The box was within the junction. It was to the south of the original E&G line and the Wester Dalry branch and to the north of the Edinburgh Suburban line.


Tags

Junction