Larbert Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Larbert Junction (1850-)

Opened on the Scottish Central Railway.

Opened on the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway.

Opened on the Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway).


Description

At this junction the lines from Greenhill Lower Junction (for Glasgow Queen Street High Level and the south) and Falkirk Grahamston (for Edinburgh Waverley and the south) meet to run north to Larbert, Stirling and Perth. All lines are double track.

The signal box here has been demolished. After closure as a signal box in 2007 it was retained for some years as part of the training school based at Larbert station.

The north to west curve of the Denny Branch formerly struck out to the west from here. That curve has been ploughed out although parapets of a single track bridge over a farm track remain intact close to the junction.

Curiously, as there was a triangle of lines here, there was a turntable to the east of the junction, served from the south.

03/06/2019

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map