Grahamston (Falkirk) (1851-1903)
Falkirk Grahamston (1903-)
Opened on the Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway.
This station is served by local trains unlike Falkirk High, to the south, on the Edinburgh and Glasgow main line. Grahamston station is to the north of the town centre.
This is a two platform station. Trains from the west which terminate here make use of Grangemouth Junction, just to the east, to reverse.
The 1985/6s station buildings replace the older very heavily canopied buildings. The westbound platform was larger than the eastbound equivalent.
The goods yard was on the north side of the station, approached from the west. This had a large goods shed, removed by 1950. This is now a car park.
The road at the east end of the station was severed by the railway opening and a new road and bridge opened just to its east.
Originally the station had west and east boxes opened in 1879. These were replaced by a Grahamston box at the west end of the station's westbound platform, and a subsidiary box at the east end (in the 'V' of the junction), absorbed by the main box in 1937.
The junction for the Dalderse and Springfield Iron Works Branch (North British Railway) was immediately to the east. The stub of this was, in later years, the base for the Scottish Railway Preservation Society until their move to Bo'ness. To the west was a siding on the north side of the line, reached from Swing Bridge East box.
West of the station the siding on the north side of the line had been a loop running west to Swing Bridge East Signal Box. Several works had sidings from this. Going west there was access to the goods yard, a branch to Grahamston Iron Works and Parkhouse Iron Works with exchange sidings, and Camelon Iron Works.
The signal box was replaced with a ground frame in 1971.
A ground frame remained for Springfield and a loop onto the Grangemouth Branch. These have been dispensed with and Grangemouth Junction is now a single lead junction.
To the west of the station is a swing bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal. This was originally a single track bridge which resulted in signal boxes on either side of the bridge.
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
Other railway and industry locations
Springfield Iron Works
Springfield Saw Mills
Callendar Iron Works
Dalderse Goods and Mineral Depot
Parkhouse Iron Works
Carron Company Basin
Swing Bridge East Signal Box
Thornhill Road Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|