Cramond Brig (1894-1903)
Opened on the Barnton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a spaciously laid out terminus in the western suburbs of Edinburgh. When built there was very little housing, the nearest landmarks being Cramond Bridge, to the west, and Barnton House, to the north. Since closure considerably more housing has been developed nearby. The line was served by trains from Edinburgh Princes Street.
The station had an island platform. The southern face was served by a loop, the northern by another loop and carriage siding. The single storey station building was at the west end by the buffers and approach was from the east.
The goods yard was laid out to the north with a loading bank and single road goods shed.
The signal box was at the east end of the platform. It opened and closed with the line. East of the station was a scissors.
With the development of the Barnton area the station changed its name in 1903. Barnton Hotel was opened to the south and Barnton Golf Course to the north.
The terminus and line closed in 1951. It remained open as far as Davidson's Mains Goods until 1960.
The site is now housing. The station frontage onto Whitehouse Road is now a row of shops. Further east the trackbed is a walkway.
The Royal Burgess Golfing Society 's Barnton golf course and the railway were good for each other. The railway brought in visitors and the course gave the terminus a purpose. The course remains open today.07/07/2019
Edinburgh Gateway [Tram]
Gyle Centre [Tram]
House O^ Hill Halt
Edinburgh Park Central [Tram]
Other railway and industry locations
Davidson^s Mains Goods
Davidson^s Mains Goods Junction
Gogar Tram Depot
Saughton North Signal Box
Network Rail Maintenance Delivery Unit Edinburgh
Saughton West Signal Box
Ingliston Shale Pit No 33
Crew South Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|