Barnton Branch (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

This line provided a service from Barnton to Craigleith with trains continuing to Edinburgh Princes Street.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This double track junction was just north of Craigleith station, separated from it by the Queensferry Road overbridge. The existing signal box, dating from 1879 when the station opened, was used when the junction was created with the opening of the Barnton Branch (Caledonian Railway) in 1894. For this the box was renamed from Craigleith to Craigleith Junction.
...

More details
The Barnton branch (left) parted company from the Caledonian's Leith North line just north of Craigleith station. As with Edinburgh's other railway ...
David Panton 29/12/2018

Looking east over the site of House O'Hill Halt on the Barnton branch in January 2019. It opened in 1937 and closed in 1951.
...
Bill Roberton 15/01/2019

This was a two platform station on an elevated site. The large main station building, with canopy, was on the eastbound (city bound) platform. There was a waiting room on the opposite platform.
...

More details
The fan shape of this Tesco car park betrays the fact that this was once Davidson's Mains goods yard, with the through line to the north (right) ...
David Panton 08/05/2019
Davidsons Mains. ...
Kevin J. Collins //

This was a spaciously laid out terminus in the western suburbs of Edinburgh. When built there was very little housing, the nearest landmarks being Cramond Bridge, to the west, and Barnton House, to the north. Since closure considerably more housing has been developed nearby. The line was served by trains from Edinburgh Princes Street.
...

More details
Part of a 1:1250 map of showing Barnton station (which was to close in 1951) and, off-photo, not much else. The station was called Cramond Brig when ...
David Panton 15/08/2016
Barnton. ...
Kevin J. Collins //
Barnton. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Barnton station. C.R. 0.4.4T 15165. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/09/1948