This was a two platform station on an elevated site. The large main station building, with canopy, was on the eastbound (city bound) platform. There was a waiting room on the opposite platform.
When opened there was little housing nearby, just Davidson's Mains to the immediate south east. It was on the eastern edge of the Barnton House grounds, just to the north of its gatehouse lodge.
As housing developed the station was renamed from Barnton Gate to Davidson's Mains.
The station closed in 1951 when the line west to Barnton closed. The nearby Davidson's Mains Goods yard (to the south east) closed in 1960.
The station site is now housing.
The original clubrooms of the Edinburgh & Lothians
Miniature Railway Club were in the station building at Davidson's Mains.
House O' Hill Halt
Granton Gasworks [Station]
East Pilton Halt
Murrayfield Stadium [Tram]
| Davidson's Mains Goods|
Davidson's Mains Goods Junction
Cramond Iron Works
Crew South Junction
Pilton West Junction
Caroline Park Ironworks
Pilton Junction East
Granton Shell Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/03/1894||Barnton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Craigleith to Cramond Brig opened. Barnton Gate and Cramond Brig stations opened.
|01/04/1903||Barnton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Cramond Brig renamed Barnton (for Cramond Brig). Barnton Gate renamed Davidsons Mains.