Falkirk High

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Falkirk (1842-1903)
Falkirk High (1903-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Callendar Colliery Railway.

Opened on the Rough Castle Branch (North British Railway).


Description

This is a two platform station in the south of Falkirk. There is a car park to the north, the former goods yard, and a new station building on the eastbound platform, replacing two typical North British Railway buildings which faced each other on each platform.

The signal box was located in the goods yard, on the north side of the line. The goods yard was reached by a reversing spur west of the station.

A further yard was added to the south of the station after opening, accessed from the west. This was associated with the Callendar Colliery Railway which ran south east.

To the west a long siding ran on the south side of the line which passed underneath the railway to reach Camelon Goods [NB].

The signal box closed in 1968.

When built this station was some way from Falkirk, but the town has expanded since.

To the east of the station is Falkirk Tunnel. To the south of the station the Union Canal also passes through a tunnel.

North of the station is Falkirk Grahamston, closer to the town centre, on a parallel railway largely catering for northbound and local rather than Edinburgh-Glasgow services.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map