This line provided a connection between the Caledonian Railway and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway in Edinburgh. The line is also known as the Duff Street connection or Duff Street spur.
It was built by the Caledonian Railway in 1859. The intention was to allow their trains to run into Haymarket and Edinburgh Waverley. Access was not allowed and the line became a long expensive siding to the Caledonian Distillery, also served by the North British Railway but with a track arrangement to not allow through running.
Fortunately with the opening of the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) in 1861 most of the line came into regular use.
A connection was finally made in 1964 by British Railways, allowing Edinburgh Princes Street to close.
|/ /1847||Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Slateford to Haymarket (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) Act passed.
|/ /1853||Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Slateford to a bay platform by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway's Haymarket station opened. Trains could run from the bay to Carstairs or Falkirk.
|07/09/1964||Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway)|
Duff street connection opened (Duff Street Junction, at Haymarket on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway opened). This connection allowed Edinburgh Princes Street to be closed.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was a double track junction east of Slateford station (and the present Slateford Junction). It was the connection between the 1848 Caledonian Railway and the abortive Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway) of 1859 which was intended to allow the Caledonian access to Haymarket to Edinburgh Waverley.
This was the junction between the 1861 Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway) line built in 1847 from Slateford Junction [1st] on the Caledonian Railway to just shy of an aborted junction at Haymarket on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
This junction is directly west of Haymarket station. It opened in 1964, finally completing the line from Slateford Junction [1st] laid down in 1859. The connection was known as the Duff Street Spur. This joined together the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway).