This was the junction between the 1861 Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway) line built in 1847 from Slateford Junction [1st] on the Caledonian Railway to just shy of an aborted junction at Haymarket on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
Immediately south of the junction the approach from the south crosses Murieston Crescent by means of a wrought-iron plate girder bridge. This bridge is C listed.
Immediately north both lines approaching the junction are crossed by the eastern approach to the Russell Road Viaduct carrying the line from Dalry Middle Junction to Haymarket West Junction (and despite also being owned by the Caledonian Railway making no direct connection to the Granton Junction lines below).
The signal box for the junction opened in 1879 and was replaced in 1896.
The box closed in 1937. Afterwards there was a ground frame controlling a single lead junction for the little used line to Haymarket.
In 1964 the junction was converted back into a double track junction when the Duff Street Spur opened to Haymarket East Junction. This connection allowed Edinburgh Princes Street to close.
The Granton line closed in 1967.
The formation of the junction is still visible, although the former route to Granton is partly landscaped and somewhat overgrown. The junction faced south west towards Slateford.
Murrayfield Stadium [Tram]
Shandwick Place [Tram]
Edinburgh Princes Street
| Russell Road Viaduct|
Dalry Middle Junction
Tynecastle Bridge Signal Box
Haymarket Power Box
Haymarket Shed [1st]
Russell Road Bridge [Tram]
Dalry Manure Depot Signal Box
Dalry Road Shed
Haymarket Coal Yard
Haymarket Central Junction
Dalry Manure Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|04/09/1967||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton Junction to Leith North (excluded) closed.