Haymarket East Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Haymarket East Junction (1964-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This junction is directly west of Haymarket station. It opened in 1964, finally completing the line from Slateford Junction [1st] laid down in 1859. The connection was known as the Duff Street Spur. This joined together the former Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway).

Haymarket East on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway had a signal box prior to the connection being put in. This controlled the west end of Haymarket station and the siding into the Caledonian Distillery. This distilelry was also served by a siding at the very end of the Edinburgh Station and Branches (Caledonian Railway).

The E&G box was replaced in 1895 when the line was quadrupled with the opening of a second Haymarket Tunnel to the south of the existing tunnel and the addition of two further platforms.

The box closed in 1936, taken over by Waverley West Signal Box.

With the laying in of the Duff Street Spur in 1964 it became a true junction. This allowed Edinburgh Princes Street to close.

The sidings into the Caledonian Distillery and the distillery itself have closed.


Tags

Junction