This junction was between the goods only 1861 Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1864 Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway). The junction gave access to the Granton and Leith routes from the south. Both railways were double track.
A signal box opened here in 1879 with the Leith route opened to passengers (Leith North Passenger Branch (Caledonian Railway)). The signal box was on the east side of the junction.
To the north the dividing routes crossed over Ferry Road on twin double track bridges.
There was a yard here. Loops ran down either side of the line south to Crew South Junction where the loops ended. On the west side were several dead end sidings with a headshunt at the north end, at Crew Junction. On the east side were further head end sidings, approached from the south (this is the older site). The yard had a turntable located on the east side between the junction and east side sidings.
The Granton route closed in 1965 and the box closed. The Leith route was singled in 1965 and a temporary box operated until 1966.
A new bridge over Ferry Road, with the abutments, was installed in 1966. A strange decision. Closure was in 1967.
The line's trackbed is now a footpath. The 1966 bridge still stood and was used for several years for the path. This was replaced with yet another bridge, a footbridge.
East Pilton Halt
House O' Hill Halt
Granton Gasworks [Station]
Shandwick Place [Tram]
Edinburgh Princes Street
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Crew South Junction|
Pilton Junction East
Pilton West Junction
Bruce Peebles Ltd
Granton Shell Siding
Caroline Park Ironworks
Granton High Goods
Granton Iron Works
Davidson's Mains Goods Junction
Roya Botanic Gardens
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|