This junction is also known as Pilton Junction West. The signal box here was called Pilton West Junction.
The curve from Pilton Junction East opened in 1864. Pilton Junction East signal box opened in 1879. But no box was opened at the west end of the curve. The junction was double track.
The signal box opened in 1902. It controlled entry to the Granton Gasworks. It was on the west side of the line mid way between the gas works and Pilton West Junction, controlling both. Pilton West Junction was remodelled slightly.
The curve closed after the Great War, the signal box remained to control access to the gas works.
The signal box closed in 1945.
The line to the south closed in 1965 but to the north survived until 1986 with a loop at the end of the remaining line.
To the north the trackbed is now the West Granton Access Cycleway and to the south it is a road also called West Granton Access with the continuing cycleway squeezed in on the east side.
The Granton Gasworks closed, however Granton Gasworks [Station] has been restored.
The junction to the south is largely obliterated although some of the curve to Pilton East remains, very overgrown and treelined.
Granton Gasworks [Station]
East Pilton Halt
House O' Hill Halt
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Granton Gasworks|
Pilton Junction East
Granton Shell Siding
Bruce Peebles Ltd
Caroline Park Ironworks
Granton Iron Works
Crew South Junction
Granton High Goods
Granton Esparto Wharf
Granton Western Breakwater
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|