This gas works was built for the Edinburgh and Leith Gas Commissioners. It was built west of Granton itself, on the far side of the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) and to the south of Caroline Park. This was a large gasworks which took several years to build, from about 1898 to 1908.
The site had an internal railway system. Access to the public network was from Pilton West Junction on the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway) which was in the south east of the site. Exchange sidings were on the east side of the site and Granton Gasworks [Station] was located in the south eastern corner.
From east to west were four large retort buildings and gasholders were in the north of the site.
There was a secondary railway connection which ran by a series of reverse curves down to the Western Breakwater lines and continued along the south side of Granton Harbour to a triangular junction south of Granton station on the former Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway.
The gasworks is closed.
Granton Gasworks [Station]
East Pilton Halt
House O' Hill Halt
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Caroline Park Ironworks|
Pilton West Junction
Granton Shell Siding
Granton Iron Works
Granton High Goods
Pilton Junction East
Bruce Peebles Ltd
Crew South Junction
Davidson's Mains Goods Junction
Boswell Road Temporary Signal Box
Davidson's Mains Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/11/1902||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton Gasworks station (private) opened on a short branch by Breakwater Junction.
|/ /1942||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton Gasworks station closed.
|02/08/1965||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Crewe Junction to Granton Gasworks closed.
|20/01/1986||Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway|
The Granton Gasworks branch closes to freight. The line from Granton to London Road Junction and Lochend South Junction becomes disused but remains in place for a while.
|Edinburgh's Transport: The Early Years v. 1|