This was the junction between the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)'s lines to the Granton western breakwater and Granton High Goods, and the connection to the former Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway (once a major transshipment point between the Caledonian Railway and North British Railway systems in Edinburgh.
Both forks were double track and opened in 1861.
Development of Granton Harbour was a Duke of Buccleuch project, the railway being a join development of the Duke and Caledonian (the later buying out the Duke in 1863).
There were storage sidings on the west side of the breakwater line, approached from the south, and another on the north west side of the goods line, also approached from the junction.
In 1933 the box closed, but remained standing for some time.
Granton Shell Siding and depot were later built in the 'V' of the junction, also approached from the junction. The sidings on the west side became a Texaco depot for a tank farm to the west.
The railway south of Breakwater Junction closed in 1965. Access was now via the former North British Railway connection. A reversing spur was retained to allow continued access to the siding and nearby Granton Gasworks.
Traffic ceased in 1980. The remaining line closed in 1986.
The area has been substantially altered since the railway's closure. A portion of footpath follows a similar course at the former junction.
Granton Gasworks [Station]
East Pilton Halt
House O' Hill Halt
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Granton Shell Siding|
Granton Iron Works
Caroline Park Ironworks
Pilton West Junction
Granton High Goods
Granton Esparto Wharf
Pilton Junction East
Bruce Peebles Ltd
Boswell Road Temporary Signal Box
Crew South Junction
Granton Western Breakwater
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/11/1902||Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Granton Gasworks station (private) opened on a short branch by Breakwater Junction.