This was a double track junction, the eastern apex of a triangular junction. The other junctions were Pilton West Junction to the north west (for Granton Harbour) and Crew Junction to the south west (for Edinburgh). Going west the line ran to Leith. The triangle opened in 1864. The lines ran near parallel for a short way before separating to the west.
A signal box opened on the north side of the junction in 1879 when the North Leith [CR] route opened to passengers.
The little used north to east curve fell out of use.
In 1903 the box re-opened when a box opened at Pilton West Junction in connection with the opening of the Granton Gasworks. In addition the Bruce Peebles Ltd works opened to the east, on the north side of the line and reached by a reversing spur east of Pilton Drive.
The north to east curve closed after the Great War.
The signal box closed in 1933.
East Pilton Halt opened on the site of the junction and box, the west side of Pilton Drive, in 1934.
The remaining line closed to passengers in 1962. The line was singled in 1965 and closed in 1966.
The trackbed is now a footpath.
East Pilton Halt
Granton Gasworks [Station]
House O' Hill Halt
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Bruce Peebles Ltd|
Pilton West Junction
Crew South Junction
Granton Shell Siding
Granton High Goods
Granton Iron Works
Caroline Park Ironworks
Boswell Road Temporary Signal Box
Roya Botanic Gardens
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/09/1864||Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Pilton Junction West to Pilton Junction East opened.