Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed. The branch served Denny and various iron and coal mines in the area and the Carrongrove Paper Mills.





Dates

  /  /1846Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Branch authorised. Not built at this time.
  /  /1848Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Branch authorised. Not built at this time.
  /  /1856Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Branch authorised.
  /  /1857Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Extension to Stoneywood Goods and Ingliston Goods authorised.
01/04/1858Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Line opened.
  /  /1859Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Adjustments to the authorised extension lines.
01/01/1860Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Ingliston Goods and Stoneywood Goods branches opened, also known as the Denny Branch Extension.
  /09/1862Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Denny Shed opened to the east of Denny station near the Ingliston Goods after this date. There was no turntable at the shed, but there was one at the end of the Ingliston Goods. Locomotive turning was done on a triangle of colliery lines. A sub-shed of Stirling Shed [CR].
01/02/1888Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Denny West Junction to Carmuirs West Junction opened. (In advance of the opening of the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway on 02/07/1888.)
  /  /1889Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Doubling of branch and Ingliston Goods extension authorised along with a curve to the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway (latter not built).
  /  /1892Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Powers for a curve allowing running from Denny onto the Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway expire. Curve not built.
  /  /1898Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Doubling of Denny branch and extension to Ingliston Goods - extension of time to complete.
  /  /1900Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Further extension of time allowed for doubling.
  /  /1902Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Further extension of time allowed for doubling.
28/07/1930Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Denny to Larbert (Bonnywater Junction) closed to passengers.
28/07/1930Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Denny Shed closed.
01/02/1935Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Larbert Junction to Kilsyth (New) to Kilsyth Junction closed to passengers.
20/07/1967Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Denny West Junction to Carmuirs West Junction closed to all traffic.
04/10/1971Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
Denny to SSEB Bonnywater Electricity Siding (excluded) closed to freight.
03/04/1972Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)
SSEB Bonnywater Electricity Siding to Larbert Junction (excluded) closed.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Larbert to Denny

At this junction the lines from Greenhill Lower Junction (for Glasgow Queen Street High Level and the south) and Falkirk Grahamston (for Edinburgh Waverley and the south) meet to run north to Larbert, Stirling and Perth. All lines are double track.
...

More details

See also
Scottish Central Railway
Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway
A Glasgow Queen Street - Alloa service approaching Larbert Junction in the spring of 2015. The train is on the climb north from Carmuirs West ...
John Furnevel 20/05/2015
View north from The Boardwalk car park alongside Millenium Wheel Drive on 15 June 2004. In the background an SPT liveried 170 DMU is passing through ...
John Furnevel 15/06/2004
158 720 heads north at Larbert Junction in July 1996.
...
David Panton /07/1996
Approaching Larbert Junction from the north on 20 May 2015 is DBS 66067 with a return empty working from Longannet power station to Hunterston coal ...
John Furnevel 20/05/2015
4 of 44 images. more


This was the junction between the Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway) of 1858 and the 1888 curve from Carmuirs West Junction.
...

More details
Looking west at Denny West Junction by Carmuirs. ...
Ewan Crawford //
1 of 1 images.




This was a junction between the 1858 Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway) and the 1888 Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway. Both lines were single track. There was a loop on the later line running west from the junction.
...

More details

See also
Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway
View facing west at the former Bonnywater Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //
1 of 1 images.




This junction was east of Denny station, the start of a branch which ran north west to Vale Paper Works and Anchor Paper Mills at Dunipace, Ingliston Mine, Quarter Colliery Pit No 1 and Quarter Colliery Pit No 2. The main line continued west to Denny station and the lines west to Herbertshire Paper Mill and Carronrigg Colliery. To the east, on the south side of ...

More details




This was a single platform terminus, although the line skirted south of the platform and continued west as a goods and mineral line to Herbertshire Colliery Pit No 2, Stoneywood Goods and Carrongrove Paper Mills. The station had a single platform and the line approached from the east.
...

More details
NBR 256 at Denny with the 1960 RCTS/SLS Joint Scottish Tour. View looks west. ...
WA Camwell (Copyright Stephenson Locomotive Society) 17/06/1960
NB256 with Scottish Rambler. ...
John Robin 30/03/1964
2 of 2 images.





Ingliston Branch

This junction was east of Denny station, the start of a branch which ran north west to Vale Paper Works and Anchor Paper Mills at Dunipace, Ingliston Mine, Quarter Colliery Pit No 1 and Quarter Colliery Pit No 2. The main line continued west to Denny station and the lines west to Herbertshire Paper Mill and Carronrigg Colliery. To the east, on the south side of ...

More details









Carrongrove Branch

This was a single platform terminus, although the line skirted south of the platform and continued west as a goods and mineral line to Herbertshire Colliery Pit No 2, Stoneywood Goods and Carrongrove Paper Mills. The station had a single platform and the line approached from the east.
...

More details
NBR 256 at Denny with the 1960 RCTS/SLS Joint Scottish Tour. View looks west. ...
WA Camwell (Copyright Stephenson Locomotive Society) 17/06/1960
NB256 with Scottish Rambler. ...
John Robin 30/03/1964
2 of 2 images.








This former large paper mill on the south bank of the River Carron expanded east (absorbing the Herbertshire Mill) and west on the north side of the B818. It was served by Stoneywood Goods to the east (from 1860), across the road. The railway approached the mill from Denny to the east. The branch was extended to sweep south of the goods yard over a level crossing to run through the works. ...

More details





Carmuirs Curve

In 1882 the Caledonian Railway built a curve to link together the 1848 former Scottish Central Railway and the 1850 former Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway such that a train from the Glasgow direction could run to Falkirk Grahamston (and on to Grangemouth or even Edinburgh Princes Street) without reversal at Larbert Junction. The signal box was on the east side of ...

More details

See also
Scottish Central Railway
Stirlingshire Midland Junction Railway
Carmuirs West Junction box viewed from the east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Carmuirs West box (top right) viewed from the trackbed of the Denny branch in 1988. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
EWS 66107 about to pass Carmuirs West box with a Hunterston - Longannet coal train in June 2004. The train is on the steep climb north after passing ...
John Furnevel 15/06/2004
A Glasgow - Aberdeen train about to pass under the Forth and Clyde Canal on the approach to Carmuirs West Junction in 1990. ...
Ewan Crawford //1990
4 of 23 images. more


This was the junction between the Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway) of 1858 and the 1888 curve from Carmuirs West Junction.
...

More details
Looking west at Denny West Junction by Carmuirs. ...
Ewan Crawford //
1 of 1 images.





Carronrigg Colliery