This was a junction between the 1858 Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway) and the 1888 Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway. Both lines were single track. There was a loop on the later line running west from the junction.
The signal box, which opened with the Kilsyth route, was located in the 'V' of the junction.
The Denny route closed to passengers in 1930. The junction closed in 1935 when the line west to Dennyloanhead closed completely. The remainder west to Kilsyth closed to passengers. The signal box closed.
The route of the Kilsyth line is obliterated here. The Denny route remained open until 1971 and its embankment remains.
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
| SSEB Bonnywater Electricity Siding|
Chattan Stove and Iron Works
Denny West Junction
Rough Castle Brick Works
Lochview Foundry Siding
Rough Castle Guano Works
Rough Castle Sidings
Carmuirs West Junction
Rough Castle Roman Fort
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/07/1930||Denny Branch (Scottish Central Railway)|
Denny to Larbert (Bonnywater Junction) closed to passengers.
|01/02/1935||Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway|
Bonnywater Junction (excluded) to Dennyloanhead (excluded) closed to all traffic.
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)