Leith Walk West Goods (1903-1968)
Opened on the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway).
This goods station was west of the unopened Leith Walk [CR] station. It was served from the west and fanned out at a lower level than the line on the west side of Leith Walk itself. There was a large goods shed to the south and series of sidings with the embankment of the through route to the north.
The Caledonian Railway owned yard competed with the existing North British Railway goods yard at Leith Walk East Goods, not far north.
The main line was singled and a loop retained west of the goods yard connection. This extended as far west as Bonnington (Rosebank) Goods. The eastbound line was lifted.
In the 1930s a row of flat roofed shops and flats built in sandstone were built on the east side of the yard, bordering the west side of Leith Walk by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
In 1966 the line to the west was severed, leaving the goods yard accessible from a headshunt. In 1968 the line and goods yard closed completely. Access was latterly from Leith South Yard.
As of 2018 the row of shops and flats west of Leith Walk may be redeveloped. Save Leith Walk
Leith Walk [CR]
Easter Road Park Halt
York Place [Tram]
Other railway and industry locations
Leith Central Diesel Depot
Victoria Brass Foundry
St Ann^s Maltings
Midlothian Oatmeal Works
Leith Engine Works
Shrubhill Tram Depot
Bowling Green Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|