Leith Walk [CR] (1903-1903)
Opened on the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was built as an elevated two platform station on the east side of Leith Walk. The line was double track. Across Leith Walk, crossed by a large girder bridge, was Leith Walk West Goods. The passenger station did not open to regular traffic but the goods station was opened.
The line was raised on a viaduct. Jutting out, particularly visibly on the north side by Manderston Street, were areas for platform level station buildings which were not built. These are raised on large arches.
The eastbound line was lifted when the route was singled. The line closed in 1968, Leith Walk West Goods having been accessed from the east only after 1966.
The platforms remain (there is no public access) and viaduct runs as far east as Halmyre Street. Beyond this the line is obliterated for several streets.
Easter Road Park Halt
York Place [Tram]
Other railway and industry locations
Leith Walk West Goods
Leith Central Diesel Depot
St Ann^s Maltings
Victoria Brass Foundry
Leith Engine Works
Midlothian Oatmeal Works
Shrubhill Tram Depot
Bowling Green Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|