Bonnington Goods

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Bonnington Goods (1847-1960)

Opened on the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway.


Description

This was the goods yard at the end of the branch from Bonnington Goods Junction, just east of Bonnington station. The goods yard was on the south bank of the Water of Leith and served a considerable number of small works.

From west to east among the works served were:

- Bonnington Bridge Paper Works
- an iron works which became an engineering works and the Weldun Boiler Works, later a paper shaving works (prior to the railway it was the Leith Distillery)
- a tannery
- Midlothian Oatmeal Mills
- Albion Boiler Works, on the site of Bonnington House which later became the Victoria Brass Foundry, later a steel works
- a foundry which became sidings with a goods shed
- a sugar refinery which became Bonnington Bond

The line closed around 1960. The site is still an industrial estate with some new flats. The track which led to the bond remains in place along with the archway through which it passed.


Tags

Goods;sidings terminus

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map



Nearby stations
Pilrig Street
Bonnington
Junction Bridge
Powderhall
Leith Walk [CR]
Ferry Road
Leith Central
North Leith
Leith North
Leith Walk
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
Newhaven
Easter Road
South Leith
Scotland Street

Other railway and industry locations
Victoria Brass Foundry
Bonnington Bond
Midlothian Oatmeal Works
Tannery
Junction Mills
Weldun Boiler Works
Bonnington Bridge Paper Works
Bonnington Goods Junction / Graham Street Junction
Bonnington (Rosebank) Goods
Rosebank Iron Works
Powderhall Viaduct
Bonnington South Junction
Bonnington East Junction
Tourist/other
Bowling Green Street Level Crossing
Rosebank Cemetery
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.