Granton Western Breakwater

Location type


Name and dates

Granton Western Breakwater (1861-)

Opened on the Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Description

The western breakwater protected Granton Harbour, to the east. At the north end of the breakwater was the Granton Esparto Wharf.

After 1861 it was rail served from Breakwater Junction (Caledonian Railway), to the south, and a tight curve to the east connected it to the an exchange yard beyond which was Granton station (North British Railway).



Dates

28/08/1861Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Line opened to minerals and goods from Edinburgh to both Granton High Goods and Granton Western Breakwater.