This pier was alongside, and to the south of, Burntisland [1st] station. It no longer exists but its former site can be estimated by looking south south east from Forth Place, the square in front of Burntisland station. From this pier the steamers to Granton Pier ran south, linking the Edinburgh and Northern Railway to the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
From 1850 the world's first train ferry ran from here, carrying goods to Granton Pier (see that entry for more detail). The goods pier was immediately to the east of the Albert pier.
With the opening of the Forth Bridge and line west to connect Burntisland with it, the Aberdour Line (North British Railway), the train ferry ceased running. Many of the passenger steamers also stopped. Additionally Burntisland [1st], a terminus, was replaced with Burntisland, a through station.
The Albert Pier was removed around 1899 to allow construction of Burntisland East Dock, opened 1901, and was replaced by Burntisland New Pier which is a little to the west.
Granton Gasworks [Station]
Newhaven [Leith New Lines]
| Burntisland East Dock|
Burntisland West Dock
Burntisland Control Bunker
Burntisland East Junction
Burntisland Aluminium Works
Newbiggin Signal Box [2nd]
Burntisland New Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife