Burntisland New Pier

Location type


Name and dates

Burntisland New Pier (1901-1960)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.

Description

This pier opened in 1901 to replace the Burntisland Albert Pier which was removed during the construction of the Burntisland East Dock.

A temporary pier was in use until this pier was built. The pier was outwith the east dock, to the west of its lock entrance, and featured a slip and a North British Railway style building with a canopy. The lettering on the canopy read 'GRANTON - BURNTISLAND FERRY - BOOKING OFFICE - PAY HERE. '

The ferry service to Granton Pier continued after the opening of the Forth Bridge in 1890, running from this pier. (See Granton Pier entry for more detail.)

Local

Forth Ports - Burntisland

Tags

Pier 10/10/2019


Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)

Fife's Last Days of Steam

Fife's Lost Railways

Railways of Fife

The Railways of Fife