Invertiel Junction (1896-1960)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
Opened on the Kirkcaldy District Railway (North British Railway).
This was the junction between the 1847 Edinburgh and Northern Railway and the Kirkcaldy District Railway (North British Railway) opened in 1896. Both lines were double track although the newer line became single track as it struck off west of the junction. Approach was from the south.
The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction, in line with the main line.
The box closed in 1963. The branch had closed in 1960.
A little was west of the junction a harbour branch had been intended from the branch line. This would pass under the main line. This was abandoned during construction as the harbour site was too exposed. However, the line was later laid in as the Seafield Siding, serving a tip.
Victoria Road Maltings
Victoria Cabinet Works
Dunniker Coach Works
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Seafield Branch Junction
Tyrie Bleach Works
Kirkcaldy Harbour Junction
Victoria Stone Dressing Siding
Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways Power Station
East Bridge Flour Mills
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife