Deeside Railway

Introduction

This railway is closed. The railway provided a service from Aberdeen to Banchory. The line was continued to Aboyne and Ballater by the Deeside Extension Railway and the Aboyne and Braemar Railway.

A number of stations were relocated during the doubling of the east portion of the line.






Dates

16/07/1846[Deeside Railway]
Act receives Royal assent.
28/05/1852[Deeside Railway]
Deeside Railway re-authorised from Ferryhill to Banchory.
05/07/1852[Deeside Railway]
First sod cut.
07/09/1853[Deeside Railway]
Line opened from Aberdeen to Banchory. Stations at : Cults, Murtle, Culter, Park, Mills of Drum, a private platform at Crathes Castle, and Banchory.
  /  /1854[Deeside Railway]
Millitimber and Drum opened.
  /  /1856[Deeside Railway]
Ruthrieston opened.
02/12/1859[Deeside Railway]
Banchory (1rst) closed to passengers on opening of [Deeside Extension Railway].
13/05/1862[Deeside Railway]
Line leased by [Great North of Scotland Railway] to block authorisation of a new line from Stonehaven to Kintore.
  /  /1863[Deeside Railway]
Mills of Drum closed and replaced by Crathes (private platform opened to public).
01/01/1863[Deeside Railway]
Crathes Castle Halt closed.
  /  /1865[Deeside Railway]
[Deeside Extension Railway]
[Aboyne and Braemar Railway]
Royal couriers first use line rather than Cairnwell pass road to get to Balmoral from the south.
30/07/1866[Deeside Railway]
[Deeside Extension Railway]
[Aboyne and Braemar Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Deeside lines leased for 999 years by Great North of Scotland Railway.
01/10/1875[Deeside Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Deeside Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway. (Alternative date 1/8/1875).
  /  /1884[Deeside Railway]
Doubled from Ferryhill to Cults.
  /  /1892[Deeside Railway]
Doubled from Cults to Murtle.
  /  /1892[Deeside Railway]
Murtle to Culter [2nd] doubled.
  /  /1894[Great North of Scotland Railway]
[Deeside Railway]
Aberdeen suburban service extended to Culter on the [Deeside Railway]. Holburn Street, Pitfodels and West Cults stations opened.
  /  /1897[Deeside Railway]
Bieldside opened.
  /  /1899[Deeside Railway]
Doubled from Culter [2nd] to Park.
  /  /1902[Deeside Railway]
Banchory (2nd) closed to passengers.
  /  /1951Deeside Railway
Line singled. Drum signal box closed.
  /  /1958[Deeside Railway]
Battery railcar introduced between Aberdeen and Ballater.
  /  /1966[Deeside Railway]
Doubled section of line singled.
28/02/1966[Deeside Railway]
Banchory (3rd) closed to passengers.
28/02/1966[Deeside Railway]
Dee Street (Banchory) closed.
28/02/1966[Deeside Railway]
Crathes closed.
18/07/1966[Deeside Railway]
[Deeside Extension Railway]
[Aboyne and Braemar Railway]
Ballater to Culter closed to freight.
02/01/1967[Deeside Railway]
Culter to Ferryhill Junction closed to freight.
  /  /1972[Deeside Railway]
Line lifted.
13/02/2000[Deeside Railway]
Last delivery of a set of track panels to Crathes for partial re-instatement of the line by the Royal Deeside Railway Preservation Society.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was the junction between the Deeside Railway and the Aberdeen Railway. The junction was just north of Ferryhill Shed [1st] and the Dee Viaduct and south of Ferryhill (Aberdeen) (which survived until 1854 to be replaced by Aberdeen Guild Street), later replaced by Aberdeen Joint. The junction gave access to the branch from Aberdeen Joint.
...

More details
This arch over Wellington Brae was built in 1853-54 and extended laterally at the beginning of the 20th Century. Originally it took the Aberdeen ...
Charlie Niven 17/11/2018
A Class 08 shunter stands next to Ferryhill SB (just in view on the extreme left) before heading to Guild St yard in April 1977. ...
John McIntyre /04/1977
27023 is seen moving between Ferryhill SB (to the right) and Ferryhill MPD (to the left) in 1974. ...
John McIntyre //1974
An unidentified Class 26 heads south at Ferryhill Jct with a parcels train in the evening of 07 May 1975 ...
John McIntyre 07/05/1975

This was a two platform station, the first out of [[Aberdeen] on the Deeside Railway. It was elevated and on the east side of Holburn Street itself. There were no goods facility.
...

More details
A cable-stayed pedestrian bridge replaced the railway bridge at this suburban station which closed in 1937 at the time of the withdrawal of the ...
Charlie Niven 17/11/2018
The view west into a fading sunset at Holburn Street not far from Ferryhill Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997
A Springer Spaniel paces the up-platform of Holburn Street station, Aberdeen, on 27 December 2011 - all in vain since the last train departed some 74 ...
Brian Taylor 27/12/2011
Looking east across Holburn Street, Aberdeen, in December 2011 towards the site of Holburn Street station. Links to the past are the platforms and, ...
Brian Taylor 27/12/2011

This shot shows the approximate location of what was called Pitmuxton Siding; this lay between what is now Gairn Terrace to the north, shown here, and ...
Charlie Niven 17/11/2018

This was a two platform station in Aberdeen.
...

More details
Looking east towards Aberdeen from the remains of Ruthrieston station in February 1997. [Ref query 5109] ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997
A bridge with a very short useful life! This sizeable structure was completed in 1961 to carry Auchinyell Rd over the Deeside line west of Ruthrieston ...
Brian Taylor 27/12/2011
The heavily overgrown up platform of Ruthrieston Station, looking West along the old trackbed in December 2011. Ruthrieston closed to passengers in ...
Brian Taylor 27/12/2011

This was a two platform station.
...

More details

This was a two platform station just east of the Den of Cults. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There was a goods yard to the north, approached from the east.
...

More details
View east at Cults in February 1997, when the two platforms were overgrown but still visible. ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997
Cults Station building dating from 1894 replaced the original structure from 1853. It has the typical piended (hipped) roof of Deeside Railway ...
Charlie Niven 20/06/2016
The BMU passing Cults station on 13.55 Aberdeen to Ballater service on 18th April 1960. ...
David Murray-Smith 18/04/1960

This was a two platform station served by the GNoSR's suburban service on the Deeside line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
View west from the westbound platform of West Cults. Hm, quite a few 'wests' in that description. ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997

This was a two platform served by the suburban service to Aberdeen. There was no goods yard. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
View east over Bieldside station in 1997. No buildings, but at least the platforms remain. ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997

This was a two platform station with a siding approached by reversal from the eastbound line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
View to Ballater at Murtle in 1997. ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997
View east along the Deeside Way towards Aberdeen at Murtle on a beautiful autumn day in November 2012. Opened in 1853, Murtle station was reduced to a ...
Brian Taylor 11/11/2012

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the eastbound platform and a goods yard to the west, on the north side, served from the east.
...

More details
Milltimber, where the former Deeside line has been breached by the newly opened Western Peripheral Route. The line continued to the slightly to the ...
Alan Cormack 30/12/2018

This was a single platform station on the north side of the single track line. The platform was directly south of the goods sidings which remained here with the station moved west to Milltimber [2nd], probably around the time of track doubling. ...

More details

This was a two platform station at the time of closure in 1966.
...

More details
The former station in Peterculter today, on an utterly miserable wet day. This is approx 9 miles from Aberdeen city centre. The line continues past ...
Alan Cormack 26/07/2017
View east from the eastbound (Aberdeen bound) platform at Culter station. ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997
Looking west along the trackbed at Culter station towards Banchory in November 2006. ...
John Furnevel 09/11/2006
Not quite Gil Sans LNER lettering on the Culter Station platform sign. Original concrete posts poking through the autumn vegetation in November 2012. ...
Brian Taylor 11/11/2012

This paper mill was rail served by a branch which ran south east to Culter [2nd] station. ...

More details
Culter paper mill loco on shed in October 1961. [Ref query 2 March 2019] ...
David Murray-Smith /10/1961

This was a single platform station. The platform was on the north side of the single track line with a goods yard at the east end, approached from the east. A branch to Culter Paper Mill also ran from the goods yard.
...

More details

The original station here was a short platform on the north side of the line, a level crossing to the west and beyond that a siding approached from the east.
...

More details
View east over the site of Drum station showing the two platforms. ...
Ewan Crawford 04/02/1997
View from road overbridge of Drum station on the Deeside line. The edge of the down platform can be seen on the right behind the nearest tree. ...
John Williamson 28/07/2008
View from road overbridge at Drum station on the Deeside line looking west towards Park. The line here was double track all the way from Ferryhill ...
John Williamson 28/07/2008
Overgrown platform remains at Drum in November 2006. View east towards Aberdeen. ...
John Furnevel 09/11/2006

Confusingly the former Park station is located in Drumoak. When opened it was in countryside to the north of Park Toll Bridge and just south of Nether Sunnyside. Park itself is about half a mile west and Park House even further west. Drumoak has developed in more recent years and has subsumed Nether Sunnyside.
...

More details
The surviving station building at Park on the Deeside line, photographed looking north in November 2006. The site is now occupied by a caravan sales ...
John Furnevel 09/11/2006
The filled in platforms at Park - now a caravan park. There was a level crossing over the road in the foreground. ...
Ken Strachan //

This was a short lived single platform station on the north side of the line and with a level crossing to the west.
...

More details

This was the second Crathes station, there being a private station for Crathes Castle to the west.
...

More details
Two platforms, a lot of trees on the former trackbed in this view east at Crathes on 18 October 2012, some 46 years after closure. ...
John McIntyre 18/10/2012
Crathes signal box, 9th of March 2017, The box is in good condition, but the wooden access steps have collapsed but I managed to peer in to see a ...
Alan Cormack 09/03/2017
Platform view west towards Banchory from the closed Crathes station in November 2016, showing the replica signal box. The RDRPS Milton of Crathes site ...
Andy Furnevel 29/11/2016
Remains of the old station at Crathes on the Deeside Railway in November 2016, more than fifty years after closure. View is east towards Aberdeen. ...
Andy Furnevel 29/11/2016

This is a new two platform station. The main station building is from Oldmeldrum station although it has been extensively rebuilt and repaired.
...

More details
Window view of the running-in board at Milton of Crathes. ...
John Yellowlees 12/09/2017
A Royal Deeside Class 03 shunter, D2094, at Milton of Crathes on 12th September 2017. ...
John Yellowlees 12/09/2017
The superb building at Milton of Crathes. ...
John Yellowlees 12/09/2017
The Battery car resting at Milton of Crathes. ...
John Yellowlees 12/09/2017

This will be the western terminus of the Royal Deeside Railway when it opens in June 2019. The line has been extended west from Milton of Crathes. ...

More details


These works were east of Banchory [1st] station and its replacement Banchory [2nd] station. Access was from the west, with the north part of the building accessed by turnplate.
...

More details
View east of Banchory Works on the Deeside Railway. The original engine shed (demolished) was alongside to the right and the line was further to the ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
The old building in Station Yard, Banchory in 2006, seen from the former yard. [See image 12298] ...
John Furnevel 10/11/2006
What surely(?) has to be a former Railway building in Station Yard, Banchory, seen here in November 2006. Now in use as a garden machinery and ...
John Furnevel 10/11/2006