Culter [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Culter [2nd] (1892-1966)

Opened on the Deeside Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a two platform station at the time of closure in 1966.

The original Culter [1st] station opened at an undeveloped site just to the west. The goods yard from that original station remained in use after the station relocated.

This station opened with the doubling of the line in 1892. A signal box opened with the new station. The box was on the eastbound platform, at its west end, controlling the junction for the goods yard and Culter Paper Mill.

The line west to Park doubled in 1899 though the site of the first station although a short section just to the west remained single until a bridge was replaced.

The west end of the station had a water tank on the westbound platform and signal box on the eastbound platform.

Culter Paper Mill was served by a branch, running north west, which left the line just to the west of the station.

In 1905 the Great North of Scotland Railway introduced a connecting bus service to Echt and Midmar (Tillybirloch).

The line west to Park and east to Ferryhill Junction was reduced to a single line in 1951. The westbound line was lifted in either direction with a loop retained at Culter. A length of line was retained as a siding in either direction.

The station closed to passengers in 1966 and the box became a ground frame.

West from Culter closed in 1966. The remainder of the line closed in 1967.

The platforms survive and there is a car park for the trackbed, now the Deeside Way.

Local

Deeside Way


Tags

Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map