Ruthrieston

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Ruthrieston (1856-1876)
Ruthrieston (1885-1937)

Opened on the Deeside Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station in Aberdeen.

When initially opened on the single track line it had a very short platform, on the north side of the line, and a siding to the east Pitmuxton Siding, approached from the east.

When doubled in 1884, the station re-opened on the same site. The siding to the east was lifted. The signal box (east end of the eastbound platform) closed in 1894 when taken over by the box at nearby Holburn Street.

The station closed in 1937 with the withdrawal of local trains.

When the line was singled in 1951 the northern (eastbound) platform was retained, despite the station's closure. The westbound line was lifted.

The line closed completely in 1967.

The platform remains today.


Tags

Station footpath

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map