Holburn Street

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Holburn Street (1894-1937)

Opened on the Deeside Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station, the first out of Aberdeen on the Deeside Railway. It was elevated and on the east side of Holburn Street itself. There were no goods facility.

The line was doubled in 1884, before the station opened.

The main station building was on the eastbound platform. A large canopy was added to it. A signal box opened with the station.

The station was closed in 1937 with the withdrawal of the local service. The signal box closed.

The line was singled in 1951, the westbound line being lifted.

The line closed completely in 1967.

The platforms remain and the trackbed is now a footpath. A footbridge has been erected at the former track height over Holburn Street. Deeside Way

Tags

Station footpath

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
01/08/2020



Dates

  /  /1894Great North of Scotland RailwayDeeside Railway
Aberdeen suburban service extended to Culter on the Deeside Railway. Holburn Street, Pitfodels and West Cults stations opened.

Books


A History of the Great North of Scotland Railway

Deeside Line: The North-east's Royal Railway

Great North of Scotland Railway (History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands, vol. 3)

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Great North of Scotland Railway v. 3

Royal Deeside's Railway: Aberdeen to Ballater

The Great North of Scotland Railway - A New History