Murtle

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Murtle (1853-1937)

Opened on the Deeside Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station with a siding approached by reversal from the eastbound line. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.

Originally the station was a single platform, the later eastbound platform.

A signal box opened in 1888. This was towards the west end of the westbound platform.

The line was doubled in 1892.

The station closed to passengers in 1937, the withdrawal of local trains. The signal box closed.

The line was singled in 1951, the westbound line being lifted.

The line closed completely in 1967.

The platforms remain, the eastbound in better condition than the westbound. The timber station building still stands.

When opened there was little development in the area, but Murtle House was to the south. There has house building to the north to both east and west since closure.


Tags

Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map