Drum

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Drum (1854-1951)

Opened on the Deeside Railway.


Description

The original station here was a short platform on the north side of the line, a level crossing to the west and beyond that a siding approached from the east.

The station was enlarged to have two platforms and a much larger goods yard to the north, approached from the east. The line was doubled in 1899 between Culter and Park. A signal box opened. This was located at the east end of the eastbound platform with the goods yard just to the north.

The level crossing was replaced by a bridge over the line to the west after the line was doubled.

The line was reduced to a single track between Park and Ferryhill Junction in 1951 and the signal box closed, although a ground frame was fitted for the goods yard. The westbound line was lifted. The station also closed to passengers in 1951.

The line closed west of Culter [2nd] in 1966.

The bridge remains today. The station house remains in use as a house. Drumoak Kitchens is based in the former goods yard.

The station was located in a rural location. Drum Castle is to the north.

Local

Drum Castle


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map




Dates

  /  /1951Deeside Railway
Line singled. Drum signal box closed.