Location type


Name and dates

Aboyne (1859-1966)

Opened on the Deeside Extension Railway.

Opened on the Aboyne and Braemar Railway.


This was a two platform station.

The main station building was on the eastbound platform. This had a large glazed canopy.

Initially there was a trainshed, with what became the eastbound platform under its cover. The goods yard was on both the north and south side of the line, approached from the east. There was a locomotive shed at the east end, approached from the west.

The line was continued west through Aboyne Tunnel and a second platform, westbound, added to the east of the trainshed.

Following rebuilding the main station building, in granite, was built on the eastbound platform with a large canopy - this still stands, without the canopy. A smaller similar building, timber, was built on the westbound platform, also with a canopy. The goods yard to the south was removed and further sidings added to the northern goods yard. The locomotive shed was removed.

Today the eastbound station building is in other commercial uses and the platform area is a car park.


Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67