Banchory [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Banchory [2nd] (1859-1966)

Opened on the Deeside Extension Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a three platform station; two through platforms and a bay platform at the east end, north side of the line. The platforms were canopied.

There was a large goods yard to the south of the station, approached from the east. Banchory Works were to the east and Banchory Shed [3rd] even further east.

This station replaced Banchory [1st] which was just to the east and on a smaller scale.

Banchory station was rebuilt in 1902/03. The new station building being larger, with canopies and a little further west. West and east signal boxes opened. The west box was on the westbound platform just west of the station building on that platform. The east box was on the north side of the line east of the station.

The next station west was Dee Street Halt and east Crathes.

Banchory had three different sheds over the years - originally Banchory Shed [1st] to the east of the station which became purely Banchory Works when Banchory Shed [2nd] opened to the south of the station goods yard and finally Banchory Shed [3rd] to the east of the works.

The station closed to passengers in February 1966. The signal boxes were reduced to ground frames. The line closed completely in July 1966.

The station site was completely cleared and is now occupied by housing. The site of the track and platforms is now, approximately, Glebe Park. To the west of the the site a road bridge which crossed over the railway remains.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map