Glassel

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Glassel (1859-1966)

Opened on the Deeside Extension Railway.


Description

Glassel was a single platform station on the north side of the single track line. It had a station building typical of the extension line with a railway cottage to its immediate east.

There was a siding serving a loading bank opposite the passenger platform giving the appearance of a two platform station. The siding was served from the east, with reversal to reach the loading bank. The signal box was at the east end.

The station and line closed in 1966.

The station building survives and is now a house. Railway cottages also survive nearby.

Local

Glassel House is to the north east of the station. The station was in a rural location, there is no town except Banchory, served by Banchory [2nd], to the east.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map


Nearby stations
Torphins
Dee Street Halt
Banchory [2nd]
Banchory [1st]
West Lodge
Lumphanan
Dess
Milton of Crathes
Crathes
Mills of Drum
Aboyne Curlers Platform
Aboyne
Tillyfourie
Park
Monymusk

Other railway and industry locations
Beltie Burn Viaduct
Banchory Shed [2nd]
Banchory Works
Banchory Shed [1st]
Banchory Shed [3rd]
Silverstripe Saw Mill
Silverstripe Siding
Crathes Gravel Pit
Aboyne Tunnel
Correnie Quarry
Tillyfourie Quarry
Tourist/other
Crathes Castle
Peel Ring of Lumphanan
Park House
Craigievar Castle
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.