Lumphanan

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Lumphanan (1859-1966)

Opened on the Deeside Extension Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station on the single track Deeside line from Aberdeen to Ballater. The station site is now housing but the memory of it is preserved in the name 'Station Square', the square which bordered the north side of the station at its west end.

There was a goods yard on the down side of the line, approached from the east. A short siding, reached by reversal, was at the west end of the up line. The loop opened in 1892 and a signal box opened at the east end of the westbound platform.

The station building was in the up platform and was typical of the smaller stations on this portion of the line.

The Macbeth Arms Hotel was just to the north of the west end of the station.

The station, box and line closed in 1966.

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map


Books


A History of the Great North of Scotland Railway

Deeside Line: The North-east's Royal Railway

Great North of Scotland Railway (History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands, vol. 3)

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

Great North of Scotland Railway Album

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Great North of Scotland Railway v. 3

Royal Deeside's Railway: Aberdeen to Ballater

The Great North of Scotland Railway - A New History