Kintore [1st]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Kintore [1st] (1854-1964)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Opened on the Alford Valley Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a three platform station. There were two platforms on the main line and a bay platform at the north end, on the west side, for the Alford branch. There was a goods yard also at the north end on the west side, approached from the north. There was a turntable for the branch locomotive.

The station had a passing loop and two platforms when the line first opened, one of the three passing loops on the route.

On the northbound platform was a small stone building and later timber building, not much more than a long timber waiting shelter.

To the north was the Kintore Sand Pit Siding on the Alford Valley Railway. A short siding by a sawmill was directly north of the station between the Alford branch and the mainline.

The platforms remain, out of use. Much of the goods yard has been built over with housing.

Kintore is a possible station re-opening site. The proposed site is to the north of the original, at the site of the junction. Nestrans - Kintore Station Business Case


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map