Alford

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Alford (1859-1950)
Alford (1983-)

Opened on the Alford Valley Railway.

Opened on the Grampian Transport Museum.


Description

This was a single platform terminus on a standard gauge railway. Today the site is a station on a narrow gauge railway.

The original stone station building has not survived and a timber replacement is in its place. The apparent locomotive shed to the west, actually a carriage shed, at the buffer end, is original.

The goods yard was south of the station, approached from the east. The locomotive shed was at the east end, approached from the station.

The station is now part of the Grampian Transport Museum which has a narrow gauge line running out from the station to the east and north.

08/05/2018

Tags

Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map




Nearby stations
Alford
Whitehouse
Tillyfourie
Monymusk
Lumphanan
Insch
Buchanstone
Oyne
Kennethmont
Wardhouse
Torphins
Kemnay
Dess
Aboyne Curlers Platform
Gartly

Other railway and industry locations
Alford Shed
Alford Shed
Tillyfourie Quarry
Correnie Quarry
Monymusk Sawmill
Beltie Burn Viaduct
Tourist/other
Craigievar Castle
Peel Ring of Lumphanan
Kildrummy Castle
Hill of Dunnideer
Culsh Earth House
St Mary^s Kirk Auchindoir
Ardmore Distillery
Leith Hall
Fetternear House and Bishop^s Palace
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.