This was the railway works of the Great North of Scotland Railway after relocation from Kittybrewster. The site is no longer in railway use and is being redeveloped for a number of uses. The works extended to 24 acres.
One is The Sidings Inverurie accommodation.
Another is the Garioch Heritage Centre .
A signal box 'Inverurie Loco Siding' opened for the development of the works in 1898. When in use the new Inverurie station was not yet open. It, the present station, was opened to the north of the original station to serve the new works. The box was on the west side of the line somewhat north of the station at the original connection for the works. The box was on the west side as this is where the works line made a trailing connection. At the time the main line and Oldmeldrum branch ran parallel to each other to the east, continuing together south to the original Inverurie [1st] station.
The temporary box closed in 1902 when the new Inverurie station opened. The new works access was slightly further south and also served the goods yard. A new long headshunt was installed.
Several sections opened at the Inverurie works:
- 1901 Carriages
- 1902 Locomotives
- 1905 Permanent Way
The works had a hooter which could be used to summon the works fire brigade should the need arise.
Late on, North British Locomotive Company Class 21 locomotives were maintained here, having been assigned to Kittybrewster Shed. Staff from the Glasgow works would travel to Inverurie as necessary to due to the warranty agreement keep the locomotives going.
The locomotive portion, and most of the works, closed in 1969.
After closure the works were taken over by Aberdeenshire Council.
Unfortunately the site is no longer intact, although many buildings survive. The stores were demolished in 1982. More significantly the erecting shop, machine shop and boiler shop followed in 1995.
Despite this much remains, though modified
- carriage shop
- wagon shop
Nearby the Great North of Scotland Railway built housing (known as 'the colony') for the staff who were re-homed from Kittybrewster.
| Port Elphinstone Goods|
Port Elphinstone Ground Frame
Port Elphinstone Mills
Inverurie Paper Mill
Kintore Sand Pit Siding
Ratch Hill Quarry
Tavelty? Saw Mill
East Aquhorthies Stone Circle
Boat of Kintore Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
First locomotive built at Inverurie
Pickersgill 4-4-0 No 27 was the first locomotive built at the new Inverurie Works, completed in 1909.
|/ /1901||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Inverurie Works - Carriages - opened.
|/ /1902||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Inverurie Works - Locomotives - opened.
|/ /1905||Great North of Scotland Railway|
Inverurie Works - Permanent Way - opened.
|150 Years of the Great North: Tales of the Little But Good|
A History of the Great North of Scotland Railway
Banff, Moray and Nairn's Lost Railways
Great North Memories: Aberdeen No. 2: Scenes of the North East's Own Railway
Great North Memories: LNER Era, 1923-47
Great North of Scotland Railway (History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands, vol. 3)
Great North of Scotland Railway Album
Great North of Scotland Railway Album
Great North of Scotland Railway Carriages
Great North of Scotland Railway Locomotives
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Great North of Scotland Railway v. 3
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
Modelling the Great North of Scotland Railway
|Moray Coast Railways|
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
Speyside Railways: Exploring the Remains of the Great North of Scotland Railways and Its Environs
The Great North of Scotland Railway - A New History
The Travellers Joy: The Story of the Morayshire Railway