Location type


Name and dates

Inverurie (1902-)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Opened on the Inverury and Old Meldrum Junction Railway.

Open on the Aberdeen to Inverness.


This is a two platform station with a large station building on the westbound platform. The station has a large car park. The station building has something of the appearance of distilleries to its design.

The line to Aberdeen has recently (2019) been returned to double track and semaphore signalling replaced with coloured lights. To the west of the station is a reversing spur, a continuation of the westbound line, allowing local trains from Aberdeen to change direction or take refuge from a longer distance train. There are a pair of crossovers, one to take the line down to a single track going west and the other to allow a train from the siding to return to Aberdeen.

This was the second station in Inverurie, opening around the time the Inverurie Works opened (1903) and its associated houses. The older station Inverurie [1st] was further south and on a cramped site, this station was closer to the works and the point of diversion of the branch to Old Meldrum.

The line was doubled before the station opened, in 1882, between Kintore [1st] and Inveramsay.

Both platforms were heavily canopied and there was a bay platform at the north end, east side of the line, for the branch. Three tracks ran through the station, the centre line being a bypass which has been lifted. The main station building had a canopy over the road entrance.

The line east to Dyce and west to Insch was singled in 1969.

The goods yard was on the west side of the station, approached from the north. The locomotive works was slightly further north again.

The Cocoworks is based in the station building. (The name is a play on the nearby former locomotive works).

The Great North of Scotland Railway ran a bus service from Aberdeen (Schoolhill) which continued on to Chapel of Garioch.


Nearby the former Inverurie Works is being redeveloped for a number of uses.

The Sidings Inverurie accommodation.

Garioch Heritage Centre .



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67