Insch

Insch

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Insch (1854-)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.

Open on the Aberdeen to Inverness.


Description

This is a two platform station with a fine stone building on the eastbound platform, dating from 1880. There is a good example of a Great North of Scotland Railway waiting shelter on the westbound platform. The station is at Rothney, to the south of Insch. There is a fine footbridge between the platforms.

There is a 1886 signal box at the west end, next to a level crossing, and the base of a water tank tower. There was a goods yard at the east end of the station on the north side of the line, approached from the east. This was one of the stations equipped with a passing loop when the railway was single track. After doubling there were two long sidings here, one to the east of the station on the south side of the line and one to the west of the station level crossing. Both were approached from the station.

The station is at the east end of a long loop which starts at Kennethmont.

There is a museum in the station building. Insch Connection Museum


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map