Oyne

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Oyne (1854-1968)

Opened on the Great North of Scotland Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station. There was a goods yard on the south side reached by a reversing spur, itself reached by reversing east from the westbound line through the station.

The main station building was on the eastbound platform and there was a goods shed to the south. There was, and is, a level crossing to the west of the station.

In original form, the eastbound platform was on the single track line and the goods yard was accessed from the east.

The line was doubled between Inveramsay and Insch in 1888 and the signal box opened. This was at the west end of the station by the level crossing on the westbound platform.

The station closed to passengers in 1968.

The line was singled between Inverurie and Insch in 1969. The signal box was reduced to a gate box. It was replaced by automatic barriers in 1973.

A short portion of the eastbound platform remains by the level crossing with a station staff house just to the north. The goods yard remains in overgrown condition.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map


Nearby stations
Oyne
Buchanstone
Insch
Pitcaple
Wartle
Inveramsay
Lethenty
Wardhouse
Fingask Halt
Rothienorman
Inverurie
Kemnay
Inverurie [1st]
Monymusk
Whitehouse

Other railway and industry locations
Lethenty Mill
Inverurie Works
Kemnay Quarries
Wardhouse Drive Bridge
Monymusk Sawmill
Port Elphinstone Goods
Kennethmont Summit
Tourist/other
Maiden Stone
Hill of Dunnideer
Picardy Symbol Stone
East Aquhorthies Stone Circle
Loanhead Stone Circle
Brandsbutt Stone
Fetternear House and Bishop^s Palace
Bruce^s Camp
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.