Brucklay [1st] (1861-1865)
New Maud Junction (1865-1866)
Maud Junction (1866-1925)
Opened on the Formartine and Buchan Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a four platform station. There were two platforms on the line east to Peterhead and two platforms on the line north to Fraserburgh.
There was a goods yard on the west side of the station, approached from the south. A turntable pit remains in this area.
The northbound platform on the Fraserburgh route was somewhat small.
Station buildings survive on the central platform, serving the southbound Fraserburgh route and eastbound Peterhead route.
Trains were combined and separated to the south of the station. Often running north from Aberdeen as a combined train they were split here.
To the south the line ran to Dyce and Aberdeen.
The Peterhead platforms opened first, that route being originally the main line. From 1861 to 1865 the station was Brucklay [1st] named for Brucklay Castle to the north west. A new Brucklay [2nd] opened on the Fraserburgh route. Initially there was no loop on the Peterhead route, what later became the eastbound platform was the only one. There was a short bay at the south end.
Part of the station is now a museum complete with a convicts coach, the Peterhead Prison Convict Van. Friends of Maud
Maud itself was very small when the station opened.
Abbey of Deer Halt
Pitfour Curling Club Platform
Other railway and industry locations
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|