This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The main station building was on the westbound platform. The goods yard was on the south side of the station and approached from the west.
When opened it was equidistant between Old Deer and Mintlaw, thus the name. Mintlaw has expanded west to the former station, the immediate surrounding area being called Mintlaw Station. When first opened it had one platform, the later westbound platform. There was a turntable on the north side, served from the east. At the east end are hints of a possible early siding on the south side, served from the station. The turntable and early siding probably date from the short period that the station was a terminus (1861-2). The goods yard was possibly twice as large during the period as a terminus.
North (at the east end of the westbound platform) and south (to the west of the eastbound platform) boxes opened in 1888.
The north box closed in 1927, taken over by the south box which was the major box and closer to the goods yard turnout.
The remaining box closed in 1959, replaced by a ground frame.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The line closed in 1970.
The building still stands, increasing derelict. The platforms also remain.
Pitfour Curling Club Platform
Abbey of Deer Halt
| Peat workings|
Crosse and Blackwell [Peterhead]
HM Prison Peterhead
Peterhead Power Station
Stirling Hill Quarry
Water of Cruden Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|23/07/1858||Formartine and Buchan Railway|
Act receives Royal ascent. (Dyce to Peterhead, Mintlaw to Fraserburgh, branch to Ellon).
|18/07/1861||Formartine and Buchan Railway|
Opened from Dyce (Great North of Scotland Railway) to Mintlaw.
|03/07/1862||Formartine and Buchan Railway|
Mintlaw to Peterhead opened.
|21/07/1863||Formartine and Buchan Railway|
Junction for Fraserburgh re-authorised as Maud in place of Mintlaw.